The Watkins Glen Public Library was founded as the Ladies’ Library in 1870 in one room on the second floor of the National Bank Building. It occupied rooms in five locations until 1940, when it moved to several lovely upstairs rooms in the new Watkins Glen Municipal Building. Chartered first as a school district public library in 1896, in 1954 the charter was extended to correspond to the newly formed Watkins Glen Central School District. By the 1980’s, Trustees recognized that the library had outgrown its space, and that the second floor location was not freely accessible to all. In 1987 the library settled in at 610 South Decatur Street, with a street-level building of its own. Circulation jumped as the library became a community crossroads. That same year a special collection on Career and Business Information was established in memory of Sandra Franzese Black, and a collection on Motor Racing History was housed in an alcove dedicated to the Collier Brothers, Miles and Sam. By the late ’90s the Motor Racing collection had overflowed its alcove, and a new addition was built in honor of the 50th anniversary of racing in Watkins Glen. The addition became the International Motor Racing Research Center at Watkins Glen, an independent nonprofit organization.
Phone: (607) 535-2346
Address: 610 S. Decatur Street, Watkins Glen, NY 14891
We are now OPEN by appointment for: browsing, computer use, and curbside pickups! Call us at 535-2346 to place orders and schedule appointments.
**Browsing appointments: 15 minutes
**Computer appointments: 30 minutes
Appointments are available during these times:
*Please note these times may change without notice due to staff health and availability, so it’s especially important to schedule your appointments prior to arrival.