The Watkins Glen Public Library is dedicated to providing free and open access to information, recreational materials, services, and programs for the entire community. The Library’s goal is to stimulate the intellect and imagination of its patrons and to provide them with the tools for personal development. The library also serves to enrich the cultural life of the community by sponsoring programs in literature and the arts.
The Watkins Glen Public Library was founded as the Ladies’ Library in 1870 in one room on the second floor of the National Bank Building. It occupied rooms in five locations until 1940, when it moved to several lovely upstairs rooms in the new Watkins Glen Municipal Building.
Chartered first as a school district public library in 1896, in 1954 the charter was extended to correspond to the newly formed Watkins Glen Central School District. By the 1980s, Trustees recognized that the library had outgrown its space, and that the second floor location was not freely accessible to all. In 1987, the library settled in at 610 South Decatur Street, with a street-level building of its own.
Circulation jumped as the library became a community crossroads. That same year a special collection on Career and Business Information was established in memory of Sandra Franzese Black, and a collection on motor racing history was housed in an alcove dedicated to the Collier Brothers, Miles and Sam. By the late 1990s, the Motor Racing collection had overflowed its alcove, and a new addition was built in honor of the 50th anniversary of racing in Watkins Glen. The addition became the International Motor Racing Research Center at Watkins Glen, an independent nonprofit organization.
610 S Decatur Street
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
Check us out on Google Maps!